Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reesey


Poor little Reesey is having some health problems. Ever since I got her in September, I noticed that she had a bit of an awkward gait. Her hips would sway side to side when she walked, and she would run very oddly- like a bunny hop. Well I have been noticing that is has been getting worse. Ever since last week I noticed that her left leg seems to be bother her, and she is limping a lot and continuing to get worse. She certainly is acting much more lethargic. She has not been as active this week, and is slower to get up. She even seems more “sad.” Friends and staff at the house have all noticed her limping and sad and lethargic behavior on their own, so I know I am not going crazy or over reacting.
When I first noticed her funny gait it got me thinking about hip dysplasia. This is a hip problem that is very common with large breed dogs, like Reesey. I don’t know too many details about it, but it can cause them great pain and a shortened life. I have been self diagnosing on the internet, and the limping and “bunny hop” unfortunately are symptoms of hip dysplasia.


I have been waiting to see if it gets better, but since it has been getting worse, I am taking her to the vet tomorrow. Or should I say- the best Dad in the world is taking her to the vet at 7am since I have young minds to mold. They will x-ray her, observe her, and keep her for the day. We will go pick her at around 4:30pm. Needless to say I have been very upset, worried, and paranoid.


I know she is “just a dog”, but if you know me, then you know a dog is not just a dog. I am an absolute animal (especially dog) lover. She is my baby, the first pet on my own, and I love her to death. She especially has helped me get out of the homesick funk and culture shock, and made Africa feel more like a home. The condition she is in right now reminds me of how our 13 year old collie Cara was towards the end of her life. I just hope that this is nothing serious, can be fixed, and will not cause her too much pain. I am quite a worrier and “obsesser” (made up word), so this is consuming my mind. I guess this is similar to how parents feel when their children are hurt!

So please keep Reesey in your thoughts and prayers. I will update after I get some news.


See how she does a "bunny hop" with her hind legs?

Playing with her deflated soccer ball



My pup is growing up


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

PSUMommy said...

Awww, poor Reesey! Give her a big cuddle and petting from us!

Brian said...

We'll be thinking about her. She is getting big and it looks (based on her feet) that she still has a long way to go before she is fully grown. VERY CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I hope the vet has good news tomorrow. She is looking very cute. I am happy that you posted new photos of her. I will pray that if indeed she does have it that it won't bother her too much. The garden is looking great too.
love Mom

killiany said...

Poor little (or should I say big) Reesey! :( I hope it's nothing serious.

Meegee

Anonymous said...

I'm saying a prayer to St.Francis to cure Reesey of her hip problem. She does look sad in the picture! I hope it's not bad news. Love you!
Aunt Pat

Colleen said...

Emily- Big hug has been given!

Brian- Thanks. I think she is cute too, and HUGE! Glad she is in your thoughts

Mom- You are known for your wonderful prayers. Thanks!

Stevie- Thanks. And you are right..I still call her little Reesey..but yah..not little!

Aunt Pat- Thanks for praying to St. Francis. Love you and can't wait to see you!