Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Reesey Update







Well I have some sad news, with maybe some hope thrown in. My Dad took Reesey to the vet this morning and left her for the day. We came back at 4:30 to pick her up and talk to the vet. The Vet immediately told us that it turns out Reesey does not have hip dysplasia (which was immediate good news in my mind) but instead a birth defect of a deformed hip (not good news & worse than hip dysplasia). She showed up her x-ray, and I was shocked how crooked her hip was and how much the left one completely jutted out. Tears immediately welled up in my eyes. She said that her hip was completely out of the socket, she barely had a socket, and it was basically bone rubbing against bone. (This is her left hip, her right hip is normal). And because of this, her pelvic bone has not developed as well.

I'm glad my Dad was there to ask questions, because I just stood there fighting back tears and couldn't say anything.The Vet told us that I have to decide is she is worth the money, and if so we could try surgery. That statement was quite a shocker to me. Without surgery she would suffer in pain, and eventually have to be put down. There are two options for surgery- one would have to be in Joburg and is a full hip replacement, and way too much money. The second one is a reasonable cost (especially with the dollar's strength against the rand) would be here at the vet's, and involves shaving off part of her bone so that it can fit into the socket.

So Reesey is going in for surgery (the local, less expensive, less evasive one) on Friday morning. They will keep her there for 10 days, (yes, 10 days, yikes!) For 4 of those days I will be in Capetown with my Dad.

Needless to say, I am still very upset right now. I know I should look on the brightside, but right now I am so shocked and suprised. I didn't expect this, and did not expect it to be so serious and to evoke a "God" moment (let her live or let her die). I am worried since the surgery is not a guarentee fix, and there are always risks involved with surgery.

But my Dad reminded me, Reesey is the luckiest dog in Lesotho. If I did not have her she would be a guard dog living outside, not eating very much, getting abused, covered in flees/ticks, and have no human affection. And since dogs are functional here, a deformed dog would not last. They would either kill her, or let her die in pain. So no matter what, I know I am giving her a great life. Right now she is lying on my feet sleeping soundly. I gave her a pain pill, so hopefully that will help. I will be so anxious during those 10 days that she is gone. Please keep sweet lil Reesey in your thoughts.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colleen:

I'm so sorry to hear that you and Reesey are both in pain. I'll be praying to St. Francis for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. God must have brought Reesey to you for a reason. To give her love and comfort. Keep your chin up! We'll all be routing for Reesey!

Colleen said...

Katie, thanks so much. Your prayers to St. Francis are greatly appreciated. I agree, I think God brought Reesey in to my life for a reason and I will give her all the love and support that I can. Thanks for routing for her

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for both you and Reesey, but Dad is wise and his words are true. She is one lucky dog. We will pray that the vet can fix her up! Hang in there!
love Mom

PSUMommy said...

Aw, I'm so sorry. I hope the surgery helps her feel better. Many hugs!