Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thanksgiving!

I won't be able to enjoy my Mother's DELICIOUS Thanksgiving meal this year ::sniff:: ::sniff::, but instead of wallowing, I will be going into a full force cooking frenzy!!!
My Dad and I will be having Thanksgiving this year at the house, and he has invited the new group of 19 Peace Corps volunteers that just arrived in the country, as well as some other people.
Our lovely cook Patrick and I are going to be cooking up a storm! We will be serving 5, that's right 5 turkeys!
I will be spending this week searching for delicious Thanksgiving recipes.
So I am asking my lovely friends and family out there to please share your favorite Thanksgiving recipe with me!
I especially know my Mom's side of family is VERY into food (and eating) so come on guys, share the goodness with me! =)
And...go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think you want me to share any recipes, considering you wouldn't even let me cut bread! nanwn is teaching me how to make good meals during my maternity leave....

-meegs

Anonymous said...

I won't be there to cook, but I did think ahead and ship you canned cranberry sauce! Don't feel bad, since I am going to my own mother's house for the holiday none of your siblings will be eating Nanwn leftovers this year either!

PSUMommy said...

my mom's pie: about 4½lbs of squash makes 4 pies.

Squash: peel, remove seeds, dice in 1" pieces and cook with 1" of water for 20 minutes. Drain well (it'll be runny if you don't). Mash, divide into 3 cup amounts (can be frozen this way)

Make pastry shells and brush with beaten egg (this will keep them from getting soggy).

pie, this makes 2:
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups of squash
2 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
½ tsp cloves
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
2 13oz cans evaporated milk
2 9-inch pastry shells, unbaked

combine the eggs and squash. blend in sugar, spices, flour and salt. mix well. Pour 4 cups into each shell. Bake at 425* for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350* and continue baking 35-40 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.