Monday, September 22, 2008

Salmonella Food Poisoning!

So, I had a lovely bout with salmonella food poisoning!

(Don't worry, this post will NOT have pictures!)

It started almost 2 weeks ago, when I came home from school I took a nap and woke up feeling nauseous. The night before we had eaten at a buffet at a hotel with folks from the embassy. Eating at a buffet in Africa? Risky, I know!

Fast forward to the next day...

My Dad was having a reception at the house that night, and I took some tums to help deal with the nausea during the party. I definitely knew something was wrong, because I could barely eat any food, AND I only drank half of my wine...(unheard of, I know!)

After the party was over the storm hit. I was up all night vomiting and with diarrhea. The next day was Friday, and on Fridays school gets out early at 12pm, so I tried to be brave and go to school. This was only the third week of school, so I didn't want to start wasting sick days!

Lets just say I lasted 5 minutes. To make matters worse, my 2 new students and their parents both showed up that day. Well the nurse saw me keeling over in the teacher work room and could see that I was dying. We discovered I had a fever as well. So after the nurse and my Director saw the lovely state that I was in, I was sent home.

I spent the next 6 days sick. I was barely eating at all, and anything I did eat came right out. Not a pretty picture.

After 6 days we realized this wasn't your average sickness & wasn't going away. My Dear Momma took me to a clinic to see a doctor. They diagnosed me with salmonella food poisoning. They said it wouldn't go away on its own, so I've been taking a bunch of pills. I'm on antibiotics because salmonella bacteria can keep growing. After two days I felt better and all things are running as should be. I'm still on the pills for a few more days though.
I am still a bit run down and tired, but feel so much better.

So, I thought I would share this adventure. It may not be as pretty and fun as the mountains, pony trekking, caveman paintings and wild animals, but it still is part of my African adventure!

(And yes, I will be avoiding this buffet at all costs in the future!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Colleen!!!
Not a good way to lose a few extra LBs!
Glad you are feeling better!
Your initiation to Africa?
BEWARE the BUFFETT!

Colleen said...

Thanks Aunt Pat!
As someone kindly told me, "Welcome to Africa!"
Buffets are sooo good, yet so bad. Lesson learned!

And yes, you brought up a good point- may not be the best way to lose weight, but at least I lost a few lbs through the whole ordeal! AND I didn't even have to lift a dumbell or hop on a treadmill!! =)

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That sounds aweful! I'm glad you are on the mend!

PSUMommy said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I didn't know that food poisoning wouldn't mend itself...yikes!