Monday, September 22, 2008

Meet Mr. Spooky

I would like everyone to meet the lovely Mr. Spooky.

He is the man who has stolen my heart in Africa. We share a bed together every night. AND he loves my morning breath. No really, he wakes me up by kissing me and purring all up in my face every morning. We also cuddle every night and morning, and we fall asleep every night in a warm embrace. Jealous, ladies?







So, the story on Mr. Spooky...
As many of you already know, my Mom befriended a feral cat that has lived in our yard for several years. She was always a wild woman, but Mom charmed her, Cat Whisperer style. She also named her Miss Mouser, due to her tremendous mouse hunting abilities. Apparently Miss Mouser was quite the wild lady, and birthed many kittens throughout the years. Her partner in crime was a fat orange cat in the neighborhood, Mr. Frisky (also named by my Mom, and the name is for obvious reasons).

So back in March my Mom discovered a litter of little kittens in one of the potted plants on the patio. She worked her Cat Whisperer ways and tamed all of the little kitties. Even though cats are all over the place in Lesotho, tame kittens are hard to come by, as most are wild. Word got around, and my Mom placed all 4 kittens in homes. Mr. Spooky (yes, also named by my Mom) was one of those little kittens born in the flower pot.


Kittens in a flower pot


Mr. Spooky as a little kitten


Spooky is the white kitten eating food out of the... ashtray!


Even though the urge was strong, she decided not to keep any for herself since she would be keeping the kitten as an outdoor cat, when so many people wanted them as pets. One kitten went to a Peace Corps Volunteer, another to one of the guards, one to our cook Patrick, and another to Patrick's friend.

Sadly Miss Mouser has disappeared, presumably gone to this world. The last time my Mom saw Miss Mouser was in late July. She would see Miss Mouser everyday; feeding her, playing with her, and talking with her (Miss Mouser was a chatty cat). Who knows what exactly her fate was. My Mom was so disapointed since she had recently tamed the wild Miss Mouser.

Miss Mouser and her kitties

Our kind cook, Patrick, saw the void left by poor Miss Mouser. So, one morning he tells us we have a guest. So we go outside to his truck to greet the guest. And who is this guest? The kitten Patrick took, Mr. Spooky!


At first Mr. Spooky lived up to his name. He was quite spooked by his new surroundings, even though this is his birthplace. He played shy at first. That night my parents went out to a dinner, and I spent the night laying in bed with Mr. Spooky eating, reading the paper, and watching the tube. He stayed by my side all evening, and needless to say I was in love.


From our first night, or as I like to call it, the night he stole my heart



We were unsure if Patrick gave us Mr. Spooky, or if he was just here for a visit. Patrick told us we can keep Spooky for as long as we want. We can "share" him, or if I want I can take him back to the states with us.

Having Mr. Spooky around has been awesome. To me, pets always make a house a home.

I love the little guy. He is so affectionate, and man does he talk.

He has the best of both worlds because he is an indoor/outdoor cat. He gets to go play outside in our big yard during the day, but he also has the comforts of a warm home.

He is not exactly a skilled hunter like his Mother, he has yet to learn the art of bird catching, and runs full force at them. He is actually scared of the Ibis birds, which are giant birds with giant beaks. It is my mission for him drive these birds away, as they have the most god awful squak, which starts every morning at 5 am, RIGHT outside my window.

There was this one night he escaped and spent the night in the neighbor's yard, fighting with his father, Mr. Frisky. He came up with a cut up tail and an appreciation for my warm bed! We refer to that night as his wild night on the town, and chalk it up to typical teenage rebellion.


My parents should have known that the "No Pets in Africa" policy would never work with me in the house! =)




Winking at the camera

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hansome devil! I'm glad you found each other!

Anonymous said...

I am tapping my heart for that bitty! Now you see why we are so crazy about Sydney. :)

PSUMommy said...

Well, hello, Mr. Spooky! Quite a handsome guy you've got there! I'm sure he and Reesey will get along just fine! :) (I read these in order, just now have 2 hands free to reply with...)