Thursday, August 21, 2008

1st Week in Lesotho

Greetings! I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to update; I know I promised many of you that I would update Sunday night, but I have been so incredibly busy. Tonight I finally have a moment to relax! I am no longer jet lagged, but struggled with it for a few days. I was extremely tired all throughout the day, but when it was time to sleep my body wouldn't let me, and I would toss and turn in bed all night.

So, I have been in Lesotho for exactly one week. My first week in Lesotho has been busy and exciting, and I am transitioning well.
My flight last Thursday went well, and I had the good fortune of having two seats to myself on the plane! The flight was surprisingly only half full, so it made things much more comfortable and peaceful. Once we landed at the Joburg airport I had to race the clock to catch my next flight. It took a while to disembark the plane, followed by long lines for customs, and delays in baggage. After I got my suitcases I hired a porter, and he and I ran (literally) across the airport so I could check in for my next flight, which was boarding in 15 minutes. Hiring a porter is the way to go if you are crunched for time. Thanks to him I didn't have to wait in the long queue (line) to check my bags and get my boarding pass. We skipped the line and off I went. Yes, I am a line cutter! But it was so worth it, since I made my connecting flight.
I arrived one hour later in Bloemfontein South Africa, and was sooo happy to see my parents waiting for me! (And I have to mention, my Mom greeted me in Wilson tradition- tears!) I don't think I've ever had anyone that happy and relieved to see me before! (Note- I will now expect a greeting with tears of joy upon all of my arrivals in the future :) ).





Hiking day trip
On Sunday afternoon my Mom, Dad & I went on a historical hiking trip to Thaba Bosiu. It was nice to get some exercise, enjoy beautiful scenery, AND get a history lesson! Thaba Bosiu is a sandstone plateau, that was used by King Moshoeshoe in the 1800s to protect his nation from invaders. It is often called the birthplace of the Basotho nation. While climbing up the mountain, our Masotho tour guide told me the history of all of the attacks that occurred here. All but one of the Kings, along with other royalty, are buried at the top. There are also ruins of houses built in the 1800s. It was fascinating and beautiful!


At the edge of the cliff!



These are actually flowering aloe plants

First week of school- for faculty
On Monday I started work. We started the day off with a staff meeting, and I got to meet my fellow teachers and assistants. The first day of school will be Monday, August 25th. Everyone is so nice, and I love the environment of the school. We have 9 teachers, as well as several assistant teachers, a librarian, nurse, office administrators, guards, a driver, maintenance men, and cleaning/playground supervision women. Our Director at the school is great! Off the top of my head, our ethnicities in the faculty include: American, Australian,Ugandan, Zimbabwean, Indian, Danish, and Basotho. There are three other American teachers, and the Director is American as well.

The school is housed in a gated compound, and the campus consists of separate houses for the buildings. It really is like teaching in one room school houses! We have little round picnic tables sprinkled around campus with thatched roof umbrellas, and stone pathways connecting the houses. It is the beginning of spring here in Lesotho, and the gardeners are busy planting flowers around campus.

On Tuesday we had an all day HIV/AIDS training seminar. It was very interesting. I thought I knew a lot about AIDS already, but I learned so much, and gained new perspectives. Living in an area so deeply affected by this epidemic really makes it so much more relevant and significant.

My classroom is finally decorated and ready for Monday! Man was it a lot of work. I spent the first day arranging all of the furniture in the classroom. The teacher before me taught in the same room for ten years, and she left all of her teaching materials in the classroom. She left a TON of great materials, but sorting through everything took forever! There was no rhyme or reason to things, and loads of boxes, folders, and full shelves everywhere. I had to throw away a ton of old things we could not use, but in the end it was worth it since there were many great finds. Just sorting and organizing took two solid days.

Having my Mom here is a GODSEND! She has been such a help, and is great at sorting and purging things. I wouldn't have been able to get through everything and decorate without her. I have certainly put her to work! I can't wait for her to help out in the classroom once my kids are there as well :).

Busy organizing my classroom (pre-decorations)

Bits and Pieces
On Sunday night we got to see a partial lunar eclipse in the African sky. The sky here is breathtaking, the stars are so clear, you can reach out and touch them. We are in the city too, so I cannot imagine how they look out in the country here in Lesotho. I put my new camera's zoom lens to work, and got some nice pictures.




Last night we went to a nice farewell party held for the Chinese Ambassador. I met him several times during my last visit, and he and his wife are so kind. I was disappointed to hear that they are leaving, I know many people in Lesotho will miss him.
At Ambassador Qiu Bohua's farewell party

I will take more photos of the school next week. Tomorrow my Mom, Dad & I are going on a weekend trip to visit a new lodge at the Tsehlanyane national park in Lesotho. I cannot wait! This weekend in the mountains will be full of R&R. I cannot wait to sleep, relax, catch up on reading, and of course plan my lessons for next week!

Well, I think I have bombarded you with enough details! I have plenty more to say, but I don't want to make your eyes too sore! Plus it is bedtime for me, I have an 8am staff meeting tomorrow. I will update after our trip to Tsehlanyane.

I miss you all and hope all is well! God Bless.

An African sunset to say goodnight...
Love,
Colleen

9 comments:

Katie said...

Aww you're such a cute teacher in your classroom! Sounds like you're having a great time already and staying busy, enjoy this weekend in the mountains! Your new camera took some great shots, can't wait for more updates! Miss you.

Jorge said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Another great Nolan writer! You and your mom have a wonderful descriptive writing style. I hope Baby K inherits this trait!! I really enjoyed reading about your first week in Lesotho. Hope you have a wonderful relaxing weekend before Monday. I am sure your little 1st graders will keep you busy. I look forward to hearing more about your first week of school. Take care.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hola!
Sounds like you are off to a great start on your awesome adventure! I'm soo happy you are keeping your Mom busy with some interesting new projects...your personal assistant!
You look soo happy and soo beautiful! Have a fun weekend and good luck on your first day os school! Luv ya!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tiffany said...

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well. Looking forward to some more updates, and pictures. Moms are the best...good thing she was around to help you. Best of luck to you next week!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you - your pictures are awesome! You are off-n' running on a great new adventure. Nancy is lucky to be there to share it with you.
love to all
aunt carole

Brian said...

You should be 3 full school days in now . . . I hope it is going well. Speaking from Susan's experience, teaching is one of the greatest and hardest jobs you will ever have . . . especially in another country with a diverse classroom. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Well done Colleen. I admire the fact that you're doing some good in this world.

I run a travel website at www.southafrica.to, and we've chosen this as our top travel blog posting for Jan 2009.

Please keep up the good writing, and being an inspiration to others (as I'm sure you are to all your pupils).